In a previous “DIY Filmmaking” post, I highlighted several great websites like Indy Mogul and Instructables.com. Both provide very useful tutorials for “diy” filmmaking equipment projects. I’ve included several more links from them in this post. They are a great resource for making your own props and special effects. I’ve also discovered several others that cover this topic. In fact, I found so many that I had to split this post into two parts.
For Part 1, my list of sites with DIY Props & Special Effects will cover “Blood” and all the filmmaking special effects that relates to it.
Almost every film uses some kind of blood effect. Be it a simple abrasion or nosebleed; an action flick with shoot ’em up gun-shot scenes or a full on horror slasher film. They all have to produce blood FX in some degree.
Gun Shot FX:
– Indy Mogul has a good ‘diy’ gun-shot squib tutorial titled, “How To Make A Blood Shooter.” There is also a video demonstration which was their pilot episode (“Blood-squirting gunshot effect for just $15”) for their series, Backyard FX. Curbly.com has both parts combined.
– Instructables.com – “Hollywood Gunshot Blood Effect!”
– “Squibs” article by The Spatula Tzar
– “How to Make Fake Gunshot Wounds” – (eHow.com)
– “Get A Movie Make-Up Kit” – (Storm Force Pictures)
– “A Make-Up Guide” by Graham Holt
– “Fake Bruising” – (Gearbox)
– “Makeup for Beginners: A Video Guide” – (Web Video Universe)
Cuts & Lacerations FX:
– “Almost-free Squirting Blood Effect” – (Instructables.com)
– “Fake Blood Hack” by DIY Life shows a very cool effect you can do with chemical reaction making a blood cut. See the video below:
How To Make Blood Appear In Body Without Any Wound!! – Funny videos are here
Fake Blood Recipes:
– “How To: Make Fake Blood” ( 5 Blood Recipes) – (Storm force Pictures)
– “Got Blood?” – (halloweenonlinemagazine.com)
– “Eejit’s Guide to Blood” – (Exposure.co.uk)
– “No-Cook Edible Fake Blood for Mouth Wounds” – (MicroFilmmaker)
– “No-Cook Edible Fake Blood for mouth wounds, etc.” – (Instructables.com)
– “Fake Blood” – (Everything2.com)